Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Final project ideas

For my final project I want to create a knitting machine that knits as a person does something.  This is a wind powered knitting machine, which I think is kind of beautiful, but unfortunately it doesn't use any computers, so something like that would be a no go for this class.



There  have also been people who have "hacked" knitting machines to knit 8-bit patterns and pictures.  I don't find that all too interesting and do not own a knitting machine anyway so there wouldn't be much point in trying to do that.

A third thing that people have done is have knitting machines that work based on the mechanical process of something else, such as a clock or rocking chair.  The clock is interesting, but the idea has both been done before and who wants to wait a year for a scarf?  The rocking chair, like the wind powered machine doesn't involve computers so it too is a no go.





I think I need to find something to say about time and the passage of it if I want to think of something to make involving a knitting machine. 


No comments:

Post a Comment